Thursday, June 9, 2011

Ode to the newbies!!!


.....newbie photogs that is....

Everyone starts somewhere! I don't care what your level or income is.. you ALL started with blurry images, horrid edits in paint.net and cheesy poses. How do I know this... well I too once started there. And oh Lord I have the pics unfortunately to prove it.

Of course theres soooooooo much to it, that takes A LOT of time to grasp, other than photography. After I realized I could take my images and 'pretty them up' and make some money... I soon hit a wall! HARD! It was called business and marketing. Great.. I have 'the eye'.... great I know PS.... how the HECK do I GET the business?!!?

When I first started it was because I was REALLY behind with rent and bills. I had just had my 3rd child and actually didnt know what to do. Hubby was laid off and I literally was in tears. I had gone to the welfare line IN NEED! I was on the verge of being thrown out. Only to find my awesome taxes I have paid prior, now allowed me, a whopping $35 a month!! WOW! Awesome huh?! I bawled. And bawled some more. I tried to figure out a way to make income while still being a mom first. Joined a little online community and joined a group of moms who had a love of photography like me. I can not thank them all enough. They have helped me start this up and without them, I cant say where Id be. 

Theres a lot you will learn from others, but also a lot you will have to learn on your own. I owe my clientele to Facebook...lol. Of course I started REAL slow... but eventually word of mouth gets around. Tagging your sneak peeks is a HUGE help on FB as far as marketing goes. You tag your client and all 500 of HER friends will see YOUR images. At LEAST 5-10 of them will fan you and/or inquire about pricing. Having a referral plan in place helps this along too. And soon.. a cycle starts. Session>tag>new fan>inquiry. Its like the song that never ends....yes it goes on and on my friends....lol. (now THATS in my head AND yours...lol) 

I hear it all the time. People who dont live in large areas like I do. "Im in a small town with 30 known photogs. How do I rise above?" Easy.... market OUT of your area!! I live in a fairly decent town.... but about 1% IF THAT comes from my town. You have to be honest...if you live in a town that cant afford you.. market to the towns that can. Even if theyre an hour or so out. Most of the time, theyll be willing to come to you! If not, the travel is worth it if youre priced accordingly. And... if YOU can afford yourself... RAISE YOUR PRICES! Of course take into consideration your skill level. But I know I couldnt afford me. Custom portraiture is a luxury that not everyone can have OR they need to plan to save for it. Were not Sears or Portrait People. We will NEVER be. So dont compare yourselves to them EVER. They are there for a reason and serve their purpose. We are artists. So much goes into what we do and our clients know this and that is why they keep coming to us. They respect and understand the art. If your were trying to sell a Maserati.... would you look to see what Toyota was doing?

Are there bumps on the road to success?! Heck no!!! Theyre freaking MOUNTAINS!! Ive had a few. And you just have to KEEP ON GOING. Dont give up. Im still on that road myself. So many times (even now I must confess) Ill see other amaaaazing photogs work and im just like, "why the HECK do I bother... ill NEVER be THAT good!" But I suck it up cuz I know if I quit.... I WONT ever be that good.. but I am sure as hell going to try!

Its a TOUGH industry. Theres haters, copy cats, even those who steal your 'about me' page...lol. You have to hold your head high and be better. Be confident in your work, your pricing and your abilities! If youre not there yet technically in your photographic journey.. you WILL be.... if youre there... dont forget where you came from. 

XOXOXO

A shot of my Jamey when I started....lol. Hes about 4-5 mos here.


A shot of Jamey now at age 2 1/2!


I am STILL growing and learning! I am NO expert! I am simply telling you DONT GIVE UP!!!



3 comments:

Copyright Notice

All images posted here belong to Jennifer Morais - JMPNY. They are here for my clients to use in internet purposes only -- myspace, facebook, e-mailing family & friends, etc. They are not to be reproduced or altered in any way. This includes cropping my logo out, editing the portrait in any way (black & white, contrast, anything!), and/or printing it. To do any of these things is violation of copyright and is punishable by law. Thank you!

JMPNY's Fan Box

Followers