So, today marks step one in a lifetime of changes for me.
As most of you know, im a big girl. Being small is something Ive NEVER experienced. And with it being 2011 there's ways to help that process along. Ive decided to go through with Gastric Bypass surgery and couldn't be happier about it. I know many success stories and I hope to be one as well. I know many people do not agree with this drastic measure, but most of those people have also never battled obesity.
Ive been overweight since infancy really. I have not one photo where I wasn't overweight. So for the chance for something like this to help me achieve what most people take for granted in life, is awesome for me. Ive been the child that skipped gym as to not get dressed with the other girls. The girl that sits at the school dances because no one would ask. I cant say I was teased much because that may have happened once until I put them in their place....lol. But I knew the 'looks'. A REAL eye opener was going to Portugal. A completely new country and I can honestly say I was the largest person there. Here in America I'm small compared to many. But I felt the stares there as if I were a freak show.
Now that my family is rounded out, I can take the time for my own health. Today was step one. I had my consult with the surgeon and nutritionist. But this will be a long process. One that Id like to share with you all. Both for the support and encouragement but also, possibly to help someone else feeling as I now do. I will be seeing my PCP once a month until June for weight management. I have a few tests to undergo by June as well and once all is done, I go in once more in June/July for a meeting with the surgeon and get a date for the surgery!
I know A LOT of you think this is 'cheating' or 'taking the easy way out', I even may have thought that myself at one point, but after today, I know its just as much work as without the surgery. Its a tool, yes, but by no means a cure. Ill have to change my eating, and excersize like any other person losing weight through any other method. But I KNOW this is the way that will help me best.
So now, when I look in the mirror, I see what I know what will be. I see me a year from now. Being able to take the stairs without getting winded. Or playing with my children on the floor and getting up easily. I dont know how I came to be where Im at today. But I KNOW how Ill come to be tomorrow. So heres to the future and my health and better times with my family! I will update you all as I go along this journey.
<3 you all!
~J~
It is not cheating and not an easy way out. Folks don't understand that after the surgery is the hardest part. My Aunt, my cousin and two of my closest friends had the surgery done. Three of the four have put the weight back on. It takes time, patience and altering your entire life.It is not an easy road and I am honored that you have chosen to share this journey with all of us. You go girl, we have your back:).
ReplyDeleteGood For You Jen! And as for taking "the easy way" that is an opinion that some may have, but they can shove it! You are making a choice that most people aren't strong enough to admit nor follow through with!!! I wish you all the best, and I am sure you will do great!!!!
ReplyDeleteI am so proud of you!! And glad that I could be an inspiration to you, it is a life changing experience and I will be here for you through it all!!
ReplyDeleteGood luck Jennifer, Wishing you a healthy and happy journey now and forever!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much guys! Jen, I dont think Id be where Im at today without your help and inspiration! I cant wait to share skinny clothes with you...lmao.
ReplyDeletegood luck in your journey .....wishing you all the best and look foward to a happier and healthier future kisses....MUAHHHHH
ReplyDeleteMy dear, hats off to you for sharing this with us. Best wishes to you on this joyful journey. Remember good things come to those who wait.
ReplyDeleteI don't think it's cheating at all. Some just need a little extra help. A dear friend of mine is having Gastric done in Feb and my BIL just had the Lap Band last month. What's most important is that you are doing this for YOU, your health and your family. It will tough and there may be some rough roads ahead in recovery but you are a strong woman. You'll do amazing! <3
ReplyDelete