Friday, January 20, 2012

If I Were Famous



So how many of you have thought, "I wish I were famous!"? I bet quite a few of you. We imagine the life, the money, the homes the notoriety. It all seems quite awesome. 

Well as a photographer I think the same. In the photographic community we have our famous (or how we like to say) 'rock star photographers'. And I dream of it daily. I dream of speaking in Vegas, I dream of the high end celebrity clientele. I dream of the magazine covers my photos can be on. Its all so freaking awesome!

Its also frustrating. Frustrating to not know what it takes. Frustrating to watch those around you get where you want to be. And frustrating that its not you and may never be.

But last night....it REALLY hit me. I had somewhat of a revelation. I sat and REALLY thought about a so-called 'rock star photographers' life. And heres what I thought.... They are always on planes traveling going from town to town even different countries to host their workshops and speak. They are busy working their ASSES off to get in magazines and be the best and entering competitions and being what it takes. They are giving up the ONE thing I hold dear to me. TIME!

I have 4 little babies who need me. They are the reason I do what I do. The reason im able to follow my passion. Because of them Im a better photographer. I love having the freedom to take them to the park, or go play with them when they ask. Helping them with their homework. Even the potty training, spitting up and other messes us parents have to deal with on the daily.... I WANT IT ALL!!! I could never give that up to be a 'rock star photographer'. I could never trade in goodnight kisses for a phone call from a hotel in a far away city. 

So what I realized is that I was chasing something I REALLY dont want after all. Im perfectly happy catering to the wonderful clients I have now, working at a slower pace for the sake of my family. Sometimes its nice to imagine 'what if?' but when you actually think of what it takes, it may NOT be what you want. And so, I may not be in any magazines.....but I will be in my children's childhood memories. <3







No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright Notice

All images posted here belong to Jennifer Morais - JMPNY. They are here for my clients to use in internet purposes only -- myspace, facebook, e-mailing family & friends, etc. They are not to be reproduced or altered in any way. This includes cropping my logo out, editing the portrait in any way (black & white, contrast, anything!), and/or printing it. To do any of these things is violation of copyright and is punishable by law. Thank you!

JMPNY's Fan Box

Followers